Black Diamond and Turner Valley Community Transportation Strategy
The project team has now completed the Black Diamond and Turner Valley Community Transportation Strategy, Part 1 and a project update was provided to each of the Town Councils in mid-May 2019. The Part 1 document provides the outcome of the assessment of transportation need in the communities and identifies the general level of service and supporting measures that could be feasible to support identified needs and opportunities.
As described in the report, the next steps in the project are to undertake further outreach with potential transportation partners to explore the recommended approaches to service delivery and capital investment.
Outcomes of this work will then form a “Part 2” Implementation Strategy document that will follow up on the recommendations of Part 1 and outline an overarching implementation plan and any fiscal, logistical or governance implications. Both Part 1 and 2 reports will then be presented to Councils in early fall 2019 for their consideration.
The Towns of Black Diamond and Turner Valley are undertaking the development of a Community Transportation Strategy to explore opportunities to improve community mobility.
In particular, the Strategy focuses on potential solutions to meet the transportation needs of people with limited options, including youth, seniors, people with disabilities, and people with lower income. The two communities are identifying the feasibility of providing an improved transportation service within the Towns as well as to neighbouring communities.
The initiative is being funded in part by a grant from the GreenTRIP – Public Transit Infrastructure Fund. The project is being guided by a Steering Committee made up of Councillors, staff and residents of both Towns. The participating communities have hired Watt Consulting Group (i.e., the consultant team) to undertake the public transit planning and implementation strategy.
More About the Project: Objectives and Timeline
The overall objectives of the Black Diamond and Turner Valley Community Transportation Strategy are to:
- Summarize area resident transportation needs and opportunities, with a primary focus on the travel needs of people with limited options.
- Determine how local and regional connection can be delivered and coordinated as effectively as possible.
- Deliver a final report that describes service types, options and associated cost and performance projections.
- Provide guidance on supporting operational aspects, such as operating models, governance structures, fleet coordination, monitoring, marketing, fares and eligibility.
Have questions about the Black Diamond and Turner Valley Transit Planning and Implementation Strategy? Contact the project team:
- Email: BDTVTransitStrategy@wattconsultinggroup.com
- Phone: 403-273-9001, Ext. 434.
- Mail: Black Diamond Turner Valley Transit Strategy
Watt Consulting Group
310-3016 5 Avenue N.E.
Calgary, AB T2A 6K4