3 Stream Waste Collection
Town Council has provided an opportunity we can all be proud of, our commitment to rethink waste.
We are excited to be able to roll out the 3-Stream Collection Program this spring! Soon residents will be able to separate their waste into Garbage, Recycling and Compost bins.
With the help of single-family households, we look forward to increasing our waste diversion efforts and furthering our reputation as a sustainable community. Changing our habits can be difficult, but it is necessary for future generations. As a community, we will continue to advance opportunities to increase waste diversion.
For questions, feel free to contact Okotoks Waste Services at 403-938-8054.
|Tuesday, May 17||10:00 am - 12:00 pm||Sheep River Library|
1. GET READY
2. GET SET
Green (organics) and blue (recycling) carts will be delivered to all single-family households throughout the month of May.
Blue (recycling) and Green (organics) Carts will be delivered to all single-family households throughout the month of May.
Kitchen Organics Pails will be delivered to start your organics collection. Inside the pail, there will be a “Guide to Waste Collection” booklet, with helpful tips and information, and free sample compostable bags.
Collection will begin Wednesday, June 1. Please have your bins placed by 7:00 am.
- Why the 3-stream waste collection program?
The majority of household waste is made up of recyclables and organics. Recycling and composting are important to reduce the impact on our environment and to extend the life of our landfill.
Green & blue carts have proven to be effective in diverting waste from the landfill. On a Town-wide basis, that would translate into thousands of tonnes of annual waste being turned into useful recycled materials & rich compost for farms instead of taking up valuable space in the landfill.
There are many advantages for the environment that is why many municipalities in Alberta have or are implementing a green and blue cart program.
By using your new blue and green carts, you can:
• Reduce dependence on and extend the life of our landfill.
• Reduce greenhouse gases, helping our environment now and for future generations.
• Turn food and yard waste into useful compost.
- Will my garbage pick up day change?
No, garbage pickup will remain on Thursdays in Black Diamond.
- What day will organics and recycling be picked up?
Organics and recycling will be picked up on Wednesdays in both Black Diamond and Turner Valley starting June 1st 2022.
- What goes in my black garbage, green organics and blue recycling cart?
A brochure listing what items are accepted in each cart will be provided to each household and can also be found on the Town website.
- How often are my carts collected?
Black garbage and blue recycling carts are collected weekly year-round.
Green organics carts are picked up:
- every week from April to the end of October,
- and every two weeks from November to the end of March
Some exceptions occur on statutory holidays.
- What time should I put my carts out for collection?
Carts must be placed in the pickup location on the designated day by 7a.m.
- Why are the green carts collected bi-weekly from November to the end of March?
The green cart is collected weekly from April to October when the weather is warmer and there is also yard waste included in the cart.
The green cart is collected bi-weekly from November to March throughout the winter season when it is colder outside and the carts will have little to no yard waste.
- Will the amount I pay for waste services change?
Fees will be increasing to reflect the increased service level.
- Will I be charged for the new green and blue carts?
The cost of green and blue carts is being built into the utility billing structure and will not be charged separately.
- Can I opt out of the Town 3-stream Collection Program?
There is no opportunity to opt out of the municipal waste collection program. These fees are automatically applied to the utility bills for all residences.
- How will this program affect the local curbside recycling business?
Once recycling services begin, any private residential recycling services currently being provided will be addressed by your service provider. Commercial and apartment waste services will remain private.
For more information, please contact your curbside recycling service provider.
Garbage Collection Thursdays
Collection reminders to residents are:
- Waste must be bagged and tied shut, no loose waste in the cart
- The set-out time for carts is 7:00 am
- Ensure the cart is placed properly for pick-up (see Collection Details page)
If your garbage does NOT get picked up
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Line: Address (Your address)
Issue: Garbage Not picked up
Body of email:
- Collection address
- Resident First and Last Name
- Resident Email Address
- Resident Phone Number
Residents with inquiries can contact the Town of Black Diamond at (403) 933-4348.