Recreation & Leisure
The Town of Black Diamond is proud to provide a wide variety of facilities and programs to enhance active living and the well being of our community. Whether you live here or are just visiting, it's easy to enjoy a variety of indoor or outdoor recreation opportunities. For more information contact the Town of Black Diamond at 403.933.4348.
This gentle 3 km paved trail linking Black Diamond with Turner Valley is popular among walkers, joggers and cyclists. The trail runs on the north side of Highway 22 and passes scenic view points, secluded rest areas and the site of the old McPherson coal mine which inspired Black Diamond's name. Impressive rock formations along the trail speak to the area's remarkable geology that sustained the Turner Valley oilfields boom during the 1920s to 1940s.
The Sheep River runs directly through both the towns of Turner Valley and Black Diamond and is excellent for family fishing. Other fishing spots in the vicinity include the Highwood River, Cataract Creek and Chain Lakes. Please refer to the official Alberta Government website for current conditions, regulations and information on fishing in specific locations.
Only a short drive to both the mountains and the prairie, the Black Diamond area abounds in outdoor recreation opportunities like few other places. Twenty minutes west of town is Kananaskis Country, a Rocky Mountain playground for adventure seekers and nature lovers alike. Peter Lougheed Provincial Park offers numerous hiking, biking, and horseback riding trails, camping and cross-country skiing opportunities.
For booking information, please call 403.933.5272
- Ball diamonds are located at the Oilfields High School grounds and on the C. Ian McLaren School grounds
- T-ball diamond in Maplewood Park
- Soccer pitch on the Oilfields High School grounds
- Two smaller soccer fields are located at Maplewood Park
Turner Valley Golf & Country Club
Located amidst stunning foothills scenery between Turner Valley and Black Diamond, this picturesque and challenging 18-hole course offers relaxed golf to challenge both beginners and expert golfers. To book a tee time, call the Pro Shop at 403.933.4741 or visit online for more information. Highlights include:
- driving range
- putting green
- practice areas
- sand traps
- fully licensed lounge and restaurant
- members' lounge
- banquet facilities
- pro shop
- instructional programs
- club and cart rentals
Oilfields Regional Arena
611-3 Street SW, Black Diamond
Home to the Foothills Figure Skating Club, High Country Minor Hockey and various adult teams, the Oilfields Arena includes:
- a covered ice rink
- 4 dressing rooms with showers
- indoor tennis courts (summer)
- indoor lacrosse field (summer)
- inline hockey (summer)
- ice is in place from September to March
- public skating is offered on Sundays, October to February
- FREE PUBLIC SKATING - Sundays from 2:30 - 3:30 pm, sponsored by Sandul's Counter Care Pharmacy
- pad time is available from April to August
- ice and pad time is supplied on a first-come first-serve basis
Oilfields Regional Arena - Summer, 2012 schedule for Roller Skating, Tennis, Lacrosse, etc.
Scott Seaman Sports Rink
611-3rd Street S.W. Black Diamond
This is a refrigerated outdoor hockey arena that is maintained with an ice re-surfacer. It also features:
- an uncovered ice rink (180 feet x 84 feet)
- lights for evening use
- change room building (without showers)
- outdoor lacrosse field (summer)
- outdoor ball hockey (summer)
- an interesting story
- ice is in place from November to March
- After School Public Shinny is offered 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday; * Wednesdays from 3:00- 4:45 pm.*
- pad time is available from April to September
- ice & pad time is supplied on a first come-first served basis
611-3rd Street S.W. Black Diamond
This is natural ice surface will open in the fall of 2009. It measures 120 feet x 60 feet with arena boards. This will be open for public skating &/or Shinny when the weather permits. Starting in mid-July the small arena will have a tennis court available for public use.
- Arena bookings can be made through the Arena Manager at 403.933.5272 or by email
- Advertising sign space on the inside or outside arenas is available
Oilfields Curling Club
611-3 Street SW Black Diamond
The curling rink houses four sheets of curling ice, with the lobby and fully licensed bar overlooking the ice area. During the season, there is regular league curling for:
There are also many bonspiels that are open to the public throughout the season, including the Legion's Little Brown Jug and fun bonspiels. Rentals are available for office parties or other functions as well. For more information contact the club at 403.933.7324
This entire complex - which serves our community year round - is constructed and maintained as part of the Town of Black Diamond's commitment to sustainability.
Dr. Lander Memorial Pool
207 Main Street NE, Turner Valley
Swimmers of all ages will enjoy the swimming facilities at Dr. Lander Memorial Pool. A variety of lessons are held during the summer months, along with community events.