Black Diamond and Turner Valley Transit Planning and Implementation Strategy
The Towns of Black Diamond and Turner Valley are undertaking the development of a Transit Planning and Implementation Strategy to explore opportunities to improve community mobility.
In particular, the Strategy will focus on potential solutions to meet the transportation needs of people with limited options, including youth, seniors, people with disabilities, and people with lower income. The two communities are identifying the feasibility of providing an improved transportation service within the Towns as well as to neighbouring communities.
The initiative is being funded in part by a grant from the GreenTRIP – Public Transit Infrastructure Fund. The project is being guided by a Steering Committee made up of Councillors, staff and residents of both Towns. The participating communities have hired Watt Consulting Group (i.e., the consultant team) to undertake the public transit planning and implementation strategy.
The project is due for completion by May 2019.
The project team is currently collecting information on transportation needs and opportunities through a workshop and follow up interviews with key community, health, social service, employment and education groups in the Towns and surrounding area.
Ideas and outcomes from this outreach will be summarized and used to develop potential options for service, which are then expected to be presented to the public in early spring 2019 for further ideas and input.
So that the project team can hear from as many residents as possible, that upcoming public engagement is expected to include open houses in each of the Towns, an online survey and a paper version of the survey distributed at key locations. Watch this space for more details about the survey and open house times and locations, which are anticipated to be posted here in February 2019.
More About the Project: Objectives and Timeline
The overall objectives of the Black Diamond and Turner Valley Public Transit Planning and Implementation Strategy are to:
- Understand the need for public transit for residents of the two Towns, with a focus on youth, seniors, people with disabilities, and people with lower income.
- Summarize resident transportation needs and opportunities for each community and across the region.
- Determine how connections to key local and regional destinations can be delivered, coordinated and optimized as effectively as possible for these population groups and others who may have less access to transportation, as well as create viable transportation option to private automobiles.
- Develop and deliver a final transit plan report by May 2019 that describes potential service types, options and associated cost and performance projections to assist decision makers in moving forward on improved mobility where feasible.
- Provide an implementation strategy outlining the development of public transit, accompanied with recommendations on the supporting operational aspects required to make the public transit service sustainable, such as operating models, governance structures, fleet coordination, monitoring, marketing, fares and policies.
Have questions about the Black Diamond and Turner Valley Transit Planning and Implementation Strategy?
Contact the project team:
Phone: 403-273-9001, Ext. 434.
Mail: Black Diamond Turner Valley Transit Strategy
Watt Consulting Group
310-3016 5 Avenue NE
Calgary, AB T2A 6K4