Planning Document Library
Statutory Plans and Bylaws
Scroll down for document links
South Saskatchewan Regional Plan
The South Saskatchewan Regional Plan (SSRP) establishes a long-term vision for the South Saskatchewan Region and includes strategies for responsible energy development, sustainable farming and ranching, recreation, forest management, and nature-based tourism. Local plans and policies must be in alignment with the SSRP.
Intermunicipal Development Plan 2002
Municipal District of Foothills / Town of Black Diamond / Town of Turner Valley Intermunicipal Development Plan is a long-range planning document that identifies our relationship with our municipal neighbours, and the nature of coordination and communication between the municipalities on matters of mutual interest.
Municipal Development Plan
The Municipal Development Plan (MDP) is the primary long-range planning document that establishes a holistic vision for the Town that guides overall growth and development for the Town.
Land Use Bylaw
The Land Use Bylaw is a planning tool that regulates development within the Town and implements the principles and policies of the Black Diamond Municipal Development Plan. It divides the Town into districts that direct where residential, commercial, industrial and institutional development may occur and how it may be developed. Every home or business owner is impacted by the Land Use Bylaw. Whether you are trying to determine how high your fence can be or if they can build a shopping centre next door, the Land Use Bylaw is the place to look. The Land Use Bylaw is adopted by Council and can only be amended by Council, following public input.
Historic Downtown Development Standards - 2014
Provides detailed specifications for design and construction for development along the primary routes thru Town with the intent of ensuring new development enhances the historic character of the Town’s main streets, and is referenced in the LUB.
Black Diamond – Turner Valley Flood Risk Mapping Study
The study identifies lands that are at risk of flooding in the event of a 1 in 100 year flood of the Sheep River, and is referenced in the LUB.
Area Structure Plans
An Area Structure Plan (ASP) is prepared when an undeveloped area is identified for development within the Town. Using the Municipal Development Plan as a reference, ASPs provide a framework to guide decisions on land use, subdivision, development, and servicing.
Willow Ridge Area Structure Plan 1999 - The Willow Ridge ASP includes the neighbourhoods of Willow Ridge, Riverwood and Ridgestone.
Kaiser Area Structure Plan 2017 The Kaiser ASP applies to an area in the SE quadrant of Town and outlines the development of a residential community providing a range of housing types.
Trails and Pathways Master Plan 2006
The guidelines and standards outlined in this Trails and Pathways Master Plan provide recommendations for future pathway development and accommodate anticipated expansion of a trail and pathway system within the Town of Black Diamond. The Master Plan incorporates information from existing plans, guidelines and studies provided by the Town. It establishes a set of principles to guide trail and pathway development with current and future development.
Climate Resilience Action Plan
The Action Plan identifies a number of anticipatory measures to manage priority risks and opportunities anticipated to result from climate change in the area over the next several decades.
Assigning of Civic Addressing
Assigning municipal addresses to parcels and buildings within the Town provides location identification for the provision of essential services, including emergency services, public utilities, delivery services and provides a basic convenience function for the public. Policy DEV-032 and Procedure DEV-032 provide direction on assigning address numbers to registered parcels of land and structures in an orderly and logical manner to provide for property identification.
Naming Roads and Public Places
The Naming Roads and Public Places Policy and Procedures provide direction on the naming of roads, parks, buildings, facilities, neighbourhoods, Area Structure Plans or outline plans.
Cash-in-lieu of Parking
In the event that development occurs on constrained sites where parking requirements cannot be met on-site, applicants are given the option to pay the Town for the remaining required number of parking stalls. Funds collected through the Policy go toward parking and pedestrian improvements within the Town.
- South Saskatchewan Regional Plan - February 2017
- Intermunicipal Development Plan 02-05 (PDF)
- Kaiser Area Structure Plan Final
- Kaiser Area Structure Plan Technical Background Report
- Willow Ridge Area Structure Plan
- Municipal Development Plan - 2001
- Land Use Bylaw 2021-06
- Land Use Bylaw Amendment 2021-04 Redesig to DC5
- Land Use Bylaw Amendment 2021-10 RV Parking
- Bylaw 04-15 Historical Downtown - Design Standards
- Bylaw 14-12 Historic Downtown Amendment
- Trails and Pathways Master Plan 2006
- Climate Resilience Action Plan
- DEV-032 Assigning of Civic Addressing Policy
- DEV-032 Assigning Civic Addressing Procedure
- DEV-033 Naming Roads and Public Places Policy
- DEV-033 Naming Roads and Public Places Procedure
- DEV-034 Cash-in-Lieu of Parking Policy
- DEV-034 Cash-in-Lieu of Parking Procedure
The Town has prepared several growth studies over the years. These high-level studies outline land use concepts and discuss servicing and transportation issues related to the growth of the Town. They provide information that may be used in reviewing statutory plans (MDP, IDP, ASPs); in the preparation of infrastructure strategies (such as transportation studies or servicing studies), and in discussions with neighbouring municipalities.
Turner Valley Black Diamond Joint Growth Strategy 2018
Joint Growth Strategy & Appendices
The Turner Valley and Black Diamond Joint Growth Strategy (JGS) is a high-level land use, servicing, and transportation strategy that was jointly developed by the Towns of Black Diamond and Turner Valley. The JGS projects growth over a 60-year time-frame.
The Transportation Study considers future development within 10, 20 and 30 year horizons and the impact on the highway network identifying necessary upgrades to the highway and to intersections along Highway 7 and Highway 22 within the town limits.
Annexation Committee Meeting Minutes
- Minutes Feb 22 2018 Intermunicipal Annexation Negotiating Committee
- Minutes March 29 2018 Intermunicipal Annexation Committee
- Minutes April 28 2018 Intermunicipal Annexation Negotiating Committee
- Minutes April 28 2018 Annexation Negotiating Committee Revised May 22
- Minutes May 24 2018 Intermunicipal Annexation Negotiating Committee
- Minutes June 28 2018 Intermunicipal Annexation Negotiating Committee
- Minutes Sept 6 2018 Annexation Negotiating Committee_Draft
Annexation Servicing Review
Fire Apparatus Turning Radius
The Pierce Turning Performance Analysis provides the Curb to Curb turning radius calculated for 9.00 inch curb with the ladder truck, being the apparatus with the widest turning radius. This calculation is intended for use in developments where emergency service access is a consideration.
Off Site Levies Bylaw 2008
The Off-Site Levies Bylaw allows the Town to collect payment, at the time of subdivision and/or development, towards the cost of new infrastructure necessary to support the growth of the Town.
- Design Guidelines for Subdivision Servicing (2014)
- Complete Streets Guide (2014)
- Design Guidelines for Development Site Servicing Plans (DSSP) (2018)
- Temporary Traffic Control Manual (2016)
- Stormwater Management and Design Manual (2011)
- Development Guidelines and Standards Specifications: Landscape Construction (2018)
- Standard Specifications: Road Construction (2015)
- Standard Specifications: Sewer Construction (2018)
- Standard Specifications: Waterworks Construction (Water Guidelines and Construction Specifications)
- Environmental Construction Operations (ECO) Plan Framework (2014)
- Field Manual for Erosion and Sediment Control (2011)
- Guidelines for Erosion and Sediment Control (2011)
- Consulting Engineer’s Field Services Guidelines (2012)
- Development Review: Design Standards for the Storage and Collection of Waste (2015)
- Sewage Bypass Pumping Guidelines (2018)
- Proximity Guidelines (2015) @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>